Anyhow, let me see if I can answer your questions as best I can.. For those not familiar a farmer went out in the woods to pray and ponder about how to grow better garden without chemicals , to sustain drought etc… as he saat under a tree nd was playing with the pineneedles, leaves, dead limbs etc he noticed how the woods just tend to care for themselves, he took the concept back to his own garden and has used it for the last 19 years
1. If I understand the video right you start out basically like I normally garden with some basic soil, compost etc, basically my lasagna gardening practice. Then you top dress it with wood mulch. Is that correct? This is correct, except there is not tilling involved, if you choose to start in a non garden area you lay the newspaper base then woodchips, in the film they show 2 examples (maybe 3) of folks who are just starting out.
2. As time goes on you add more layers of wood mulch and maybe compost but not much else? Exactly, as the mulch decomposes it turns to rich soil, hence no tilling nd the weeds pull right out if there are any to pull
3. This does away with the constant need to water, is this correct? absolutely correct, last year in the NC summer we watered maybe 4 times.. the moisture stays trapped in the mulch /soil and sustains the root system…
4. How long have you been doing this system? This will be our 3rd year
5. Oh do the wood chips need to be from green trees? We have hundreds of dead ones we’ve got to dispose of and we have a chipper—it’s a small slow one but…. They can be from any tree, the mulch we put on last year was from dead trees and was almost soil, this was wonderful! Our red clay mud is dark soil in that spot now!!
6. Because of adding the wood chips the garden won’t erode down like I am having the problem with? very true, we use to have that problem too, frustrating when you are having to shovel bags of soil! Now the grden doesn’t wash away or pile up on one end 🙂
7. Are there any good books you can recommend on this? I don’t know of any books, I’ll ask a friend of ours who introduced us to this method…
On a side note, the same friend that hooked us on this method just called last night from HI, he is there for 6 weeks working on this method for Dole and their organic products..we are to have dinner on the 21st when he gets back and I am excited to learn what he has to say.. He was one of the ones who spent time in the Bio Dome ( do you remember that from the 80’s), very interesting fellow, and he knows his stuff!